Depression can affect anyone, there’s not always a reason.Depression affects more than 264 million people worldwide-which is a serious topic for all of us to discuss.
Let’s see what depression is exactly: –
What is depression?
Depression is a mood disorder that causes a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest in anything. It affects how you feel, think, act and behave, and can lead to a lot of emotional, mental and physical problems.
What are the types of depression?
- Major depression -> It is a state in which one loses interest in all activities. Symptoms of this depression include improper sleep, changes in appetite, loss of energy, and losing weight. It is usually treated by psychotherapy and medication.
- Persistent depression disorder -> Formally called “DYSTHYMIA”, this type of depression refers to a low mood that has lasted for at least 2 years but never reached the intensity of major depression.Symptoms are low energy, low self-esteem, and hopelessness.
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) -> This type of depression emerges as days get shorter. Treatments are light therapy, psychotherapy, and medication.
- Bipolar disorder -> People in bipolar depression go through periods of unusually high energy or activity. Symptoms are high self-esteem, decreased need for sleep, activity at higher speed, and risk-taking. Treated by medication.
- Perinatal depression -> This depression occurs during pregnancy or in the first 12 months after delivery. Treatment includes counselling and medication.
- PMDD –> This type of depression is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome. Symptoms usually begin shortly after ovulation and end once menstruation starts.
What is the meaning of anxiety and depression?
Depression and anxiety disorders are different, but people with depression often experience symptoms similar to those of an anxiety disorder, such as nervousness irritability, and sleeping problems. Both disorders have their own causes, therapy, and symptoms.
Now let’s talk about depression,
“I was thinking that people are becoming aware of depression and mental health these days”. but, I was wrong. We all are not aware of depression and mental health issues and how terribly it can affect us. It is so sad to know that a person does not have the strength and hope to live. It feels terrible knowing that there is not even a single reason, a person can think of living for. Their thoughts get worse and each day seems really hard. It is easy to say “ending life is not the solution”. But for that person, the solution itself is ending life.
Why to even reach to that extent?
Someone has correctly said, “sometimes sharing a problem is more important than finding a solution to it”. TALK IT OUT!!!! It is completely a free therapy!
Mental health is no more a taboo. Speak up to anyone you know who can understand you, but, PLEASE speak up! Because that’s the only solution.
DEPRESSION ISN’T RANDOM, IT’S A SIGNAL TO BE ANSWERED. IT’S A CALL FOR US TO ADDRESS SOMETHING IN OUR SURROUNDING.
Many people experience the symptoms of depression, from mild to severe. Depression is not the same as sadness or grief, although sadness and grief can occur within the depression. Sadness and grief are natural reactions to negative experiences or loss.
Don’t be ashamed to ask for help when you’re going through down moments in life. You might be suffering when the solution is right next to you.
Never hide your pain that only increases your stress and causes depression.
Everything has a purpose and that one day you would transform all of the pain into a healing force by overcoming it and teaching others how to overcome their depression too.
Being in a state of depression for a long period of time steals all of your energy, makes you feel there is no hope. Allows us only to see tunnel vision.
Tunnel vision causes us to forget who we really are and what we are really here to do on this Earth.
You are not your depression, not your childhood traumas, not what anyone thinks about you, not the awful torturous thoughts. You are worthy of being a bright light, you are love, you are a divine creation. Absolutely perfect as you are.
Your light has been dulled. The experiences you’ve had have simply been draining your energy for so long, the story you have on repeat in your mind is stealing your ability to feel joy.
The child inside you who’s curious about lights loves to laugh and play, loves themselves and others, is still inside you. They are just buried. There’s hope. There’s hope to feel again. There’s hope to be alive.
But the hope here is – TALK ABOUT IT!! I cannot emphasize more, how important and helpful communicating is.
There are hundreds of ways to handle depression. Let’s start with COMMUNICATING ABOUT IT AND BELIEVING IN YOURSELF.
YOU ARE ONLY HURTING YOURSELF BY PRETENDING THAT YOU ARE HAPPY. SO, DON’T PRETEND!!! TALK ABOUT IT! TRY TO GET IT OUT FROM YOUR SYSTEM.
TALKING IS NOT JUST AN OPTION; IT IS THE SOLUTION. DON’T BE ASHAMED TO ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU ARE GOING THROUGH DOWN MOMENTS OF LIFE. IT WON’T MAKE YOU ANY WEAKER, IT WILL HELP YOU TO GET RID OF DEPRESSION.
As soon as you feel that depression is kicking in, MOVE! Go outside and run around, dance, exercise, move your arms. Get your heart rate going and your body moving.
HOW TO OVERCOME DEPRESSION?
- Go for a walk.
- Watch your favorite movie.
- Listen to music and dance.
- Read books.
- Write about your plans/goals and try to accomplish them
- Appreciate the beauty of our nature.
- Focus on people who lift you up.
And most importantly TALK ABOUT IT. It is the most efficient way to overcome depression. Talk with your family and friends. Don’t keep it inside because it could be so dangerous with the passing time. So, communication is one of the most effective ways to get rid of it.
What are the Symptoms of depression?
- Low self-esteem.
- Irritated mood.
- Oversleeping or undersleeping.
- Loss of pleasures.
- Low appetite or overeating.