Even after battling with Covid-19 and finally returning home, patients are still observed to deal with a syndrome given the name of Post-Covid Syndrome.
What is this Post-Covid Syndrome?
Post-Covid Syndrome refers to a collection of signs and symptoms that a covid recovered patient deals with immediately after the recovery or in some cases after a few days, weeks, and even months.
Symptoms of Post-Covid Syndrome
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Inability to concentrate and think(brain fog).
- Continuous headaches.
- No sense of taste and smell
- Anxiousness and depression.
- Feeling of fever
- Signs that become extra worse after a physical and mental workout.
Let’s talk about some Covid-19 Multiorgan Effects
These multiorgan effects also comprise of situations like-
- MIS- (Multisystem inflammatory syndrome)Under this condition the various body parts swell.
- Autoimmune conditions – Under this various cells of your body are attacked by the immune system, resulting in swelling in the attacked parts.
Note: The effecting period of the multiorgan system is still unknown.
What are the things a patient experiencing from Post-Covid Syndrome do?
Ans.-People who suffered from mild symptoms of covid-19 should firstly schedule an appointment with their doctor, and find out the intensity of their post – covid syndrome symptoms.
To deal with –
- Chest ache – Try breathing exercises and sit in an open place, where air passes without any interruptions.
- Cough – Take steam, and prefer taking ginger tea along with basil leaves, turmeric, cloves, and other ayurvedic herbs.
- Body aches –Consult your doctor and take the prescribed medicine, you can also use a heating pad to relieve the pain.
- Fatigue and tiredness – The first and easiest thing to deal with fatigue and tiredness is to follow a balanced and nutrients rich diet, as what you eat plays a very important role in strengthening your immune system, which helps to overcome issues of fatigue and tiredness.
- Loss of taste and smell – To deal with the loss of sense and taste consult your doctor and take the prescribed medicines.
- Some home remedies:
- Apply mustard oil on your nose.
- Apply ghee to your nose before sleeping.
Effects of Post-Covid Syndrome
1. Effects on the respiratory system
It has been observed that people who have been suffered from Covid-19 undergo issues like breathing problems, inability to finish even little daily tasks, etc.
The reason behind this is the damage caused to lung tissue, which causes scars in the lungs leading to breathing issues.
2. Effects on heart and blood vessels
Post-Covid attacks our heart and the circulatory system in a serious manner that can be dangerous to life, this issue is generally present in patients already dealing with heart problems.
Doctors have observed that even if a person tests Covid-19, he/she can still suffer from issues like chronic fatigue, chest aches, non-uniform heart rate, etc. These issues can lead to heart failure.
Doctors have also observed that few of her patients develop an issue of blood clotting resulting in heart attacks, strokes, even the smaller clots damage your liver and kidneys.
3. Effects on kidney
The negative effects on the kidney are observed mainly on the hospitalized patients, but the discharged ones are also not left with these issues.
Already existing diseases like diabetes and high blood pressure add to the risk of kidney failure post-Covid.
The various issues patients deal with are:
- Less output of urine.
- Uncontrolled urination.
- In some cases, these issues are so severe that dialysis becomes necessary.
Note: Your age and no history of kidney issues have nothing to do with the Post-covid kidney failure issues as the Covid-19 virus, decrease in oxygen levels, cytokine storm and blood clots are enough to contribute.
4. Effect on the liver
Injuries related to the liver are a result of viral imitation and destruction of the hepatic tissues during the Covid-19 infection.
Covid-19 patients are observed to have a hike in liver enzymes and uncertain liver functions(especially in males as per a Chinese study).
In some cases, it has been found that the functioning of the liver remains disturbed even after Covid-19 recovery resulting in a cytokine storm, pneumonia-related decreased O2 levels, and negative effects of drugs used to cure the infection.
5. Effect on the brain
It has been observed that patients who have suffered from Covid -19 have generated issues like strokes, seizures, and even inflammation in the brain, resulting in long-term effects.
Some issues faced by recovered patients are –
- The continuous feeling of being confused.
- Having a blurred vision.
- Concentration issues.
- Dealing with foggy thoughts.
Some researchers are pointing out that Covid-19 can also cause temporary paralysis and the risk of getting Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease also increases.
6. Effects on the digestive system
As covid-19 is disrupting all the systems of our body, there are few issues related to the digestive system too –
- Problems in the absorption of nutrients by the gastrointestinal system, resulting in a lack of important nutrients and electrolytes.
- Nausea, digestive discomfort, decreased appetite, persistent diarrhea issues, and gastric issues are some common digestive issues.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding has also been observed in some patients.
These are some of the impacts of Post-Covid Syndrome on the human body. To prevent yourself from becoming a prey of such Covid issues follow these basic rules –
- Wear a mask
- Avoid going out
- Sanitize yourself.
- Focus on your diet.
- Avoid any kind of drug and caffeine consumption.
- Spread the idea of social distancing as much as possible and follow it yourself too.
As it has become very clear that if a person catches this Covid-19 infection, then in no time his/her situation will become worse if not dealt with full precautions.
So everyone should stay safe and as far as possible from any such conditions that can make you a prey of Covid -19.