One of the most common things about which both adults and children complain is stomach pain. Our stomach is among one of the most important organs in our body which helps in the process of digestion. It surrounds the Gallbladder, liver, upper intestine, and pancreas. It is also called abdominal pain.
There are many reasons which are responsible for our stomach pain such as any stomach virus or gas and this can cause serious concern to one’s health and mind and can require from acute to chronic treatment.
For example, indigestion can be caused by ulcers and liver dysfunction can be caused by gallstones, etc.
Types of stomach/abdominal pain
- Acute ache -It starts over a few hours and days and accompanies many other symptoms too.
- Chronic ache – Stays for more days as compared to acute ache, usually comes and goes.
- Progressive ache -Its intensity and symptoms increase with time.
Related Post: Some hobbies for coping depression
Causes for our stomach pain
Constipation causes pain in the lower area of our stomach. If the pain is acute there is nothing much to worry but if the pain is too much to endure then the symptoms include:
- Cramps in the lower abdomen
- Loss of appetite
- Vomiting and nausea
Constipation usually relieves by taking medicines or using toilets frequently but if you feel the problem is too hard to handle then you should always consult a doctor.
2. Gastric pain
Gastric pain is known to be one of the most common stomach pain it can range from being mild to getting severe. Most of the time it is caused by the accumulation of excessive acid in the stomach. Its symptoms include :
- Vomiting and nausea
- Wanted to eat but have a feeling that you are full
In most cases, gastric pain stops on its own but if the problem continues you should consult a doctor for proper medication.
The pain from gas takes place in the upper stomach as gas naturally accumulates in the intestine or digestive tract and can give the feeling of bloating pressure, and fullness which can intensify your pain.
This pain can cause swelling in your stomach making you burp or pass the gas frequently. This can even lead to constipation or diarrhea. Having gas is not serious and taking medicines can help a lot. A person should eat less and slowly at the time of gas for preventing it from getting worse.
Related Post: Arugula health benefits and their use
4. Kidney pain
Severe stomach pain and back pain is felt when any person is going through kidney pain. Some people have marked this pain as equal to the pain suffered during childbirth as it is one of the worst cases of stomach pain. Its symptoms include:
- Severe pain that travels to the lower abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
Many times the stone pass out by themselves in the urine but if their size and position is a way more severe then therapy or minor surgery is performed by the doctor.
5. Menstrual cramps
Being a woman is not easy and every month you have to go through pain in your lower tummy at the time of your periods. All the females have their different experience and different level of pain which highly varies from one to another. Alongside menstrual cramps, women’s will also face problems like
- Vomiting and nausea
- Light fever
Many women go through a lot of severe pain in their left or the right side of the stomach which prevails for a long time and prevent them from speaking so, it would be a great help for them to consult their doctor for advice.
If you are facing pain while urinating then it’s also necessary to consult a doctor as it can be a urinary infection and can be a lot harmful if you are sexually active.
It is not one of the most common causes of stomach pain. and onlon1 out of 20 people suffer from it between the age of 10 – 30. Some of its symptoms are :
- Pain while walking, coughing, or when you press your stomach
- Vomiting and nausea
- You will feel constant pain in the central stomach the shifts to your right lower stomach.
If you are experiencing the pain then you should not let it go worse and should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Related Post: Stygiophobia, the fear of hell!
When you should seek help from your doctor
There are few causes of stomach ache that are not discussed above in the article, some of the severe symptoms of stomach ache which can not be overlooked are –
- If you observe blood while urinating and excreting.
- You accompany fever along with nausea and vomiting.
- If you are experiencing abdominal pain after a serious injury or as a result of any medicine which lasts more than 12 – 15 days.
- If your pain increases even after consuming the medicine.
Note – Do not take these signs lightly and immediately seek for medical ache because the stomach ache that you think is normal, might be a result of food poisoning or any other serious issue
How to cure stomach pain
There are many ways to treat your stomach ache, but the easiest and most effective natural treatments are –
- Cutting down your food intake, instead of eating a lot at one time, divide your meal into smaller portions at different times.
- Decrease your eating speed.
- Start chewing nicely.
- Consume liquids at normal temperatures(room).
- Avoid food triggering gas and indigestion issues.
- Calm your mind down while eating.
- Cut your caffeine and alcohol intake.
- Do not lean immediately after eating.
- Engage in light physical activity or walk after eating.
What do various positions of stomach ache indicate?
The abdominal ache that is generalized in the complete stomach indicates –
- Issue related to appendicitis
- Any injury related to trauma.
- Uncertain bowel functioning.
- Any flu.
- Infection in the urinary tract.
Pain occurring in the lower region of abdomen indicates –
- Intestinal issues.
- Issue of ectopic pregnancy.
Pain occurring in the upper region(right) of abdomen indicates –
- Any injury.
- Due to pneumonia or hepatitis.
1. How long should a stomach ache last?
Harmless abdominal pain usually goes away within two hours.
2. What do gas pains feel like?
Gastric pain feels like a knot inside your chest, the pain is very intense and is capable of sending you hospital.
3. Why do gas pains hurt so bad?
When gas is blocked from escaping, diarrhea or constipation may be responsible. Sometimes gastric issues can be considered as appendicitis by doctors as it is so intense.
4. How do you get rid of stomach aches in bed?
Management of night stomach pain include:
- By avoiding eating close to your bedtime.
- Elevating the head of your bed while sleeping.
- Avoiding fatty foods, coffee, or chocolate at night.
5. How to know if stomach pain is serious?
Symptoms to know if your pain is serious are–
- The abdomen is extremely hard.
- Abdominal softness on being touched.
- Coughing and spilling out blood.
- Persistent vomiting.
6. Is it recommended to have over-the-counter pain curing medicines?
No, it is not quite a great idea to consume over-the-counter medicines for curing your stomach ache as it will most of the time increase pain and also add irritability in the stomach, so try to consult a medical professional before taking any medicines on your own.
7. I am a woman and I am experiencing continuous pain in my reproductive organs, what can be the expected cause, and is this a reason to worry?
You should never ignore any stomach-related aches and irregularities, as they can be due to serious irregularities in your internal organs.
Being a woman some of the possible causes of your continuous stomach ache can be –
- Result of a miscarriage.
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Issues of fibroids and some other pelvic diseases (inflammatory).
The best thing to do will be to consult a medical professional as soon as possible.
8. Why does my stomach hurt when I push it from outside?
The phenomenon which causes your stomach to take when force is applied from outside is called abdominal tenderness, but if you still feel it after withdrawing the pressure then it is known as the Blumberg sign or rebound tenderness. Abdominal tenderness is a symptom of inflammation or other issues affecting more than one organ. Tenderness is also possible due to a twisted or blocked internal organ.
9. What are the signs of gastric ache?
Gastric pain feels like a twist or loop inside your abdomen. It is also noted that few people find their gas to rotate inside their stomachs, generally in an upward position i.e towards your chest.
Note – The duration of gastric pain can last for quite a few hours, it does not generally require any treatment but if your ache continuous for more than a day, it can then be a sign of some serious stomach disorder, so you better consult a doctor as soon as possible.
10. What are the symptoms of pancreatitis pain?
The pain caused by acute pancreatitis originates in the upper portion of your abdomen and its durability us for few days. You will experience intense and continuous aches in your stomach, the pain can also travel to your back and other regions. The intensity of pancreatitis pain will be mild at the beginning but will surely intensify with time. patients suffering from this pain are likely to look unwell and nauseous.
11. List various treatment alternatives for curing appendicitis.
The most common way to cure appendicitis is by taking out the appendix (surgically) by the process called an appendectomy. It is practiced in the form of a task for curing the remaining infection, antibiotics are taken.
12. Can overeating cause stomach ache?
Yes, if you eat more than your capacity then it can result from minor and in some cases major stomach aches. To avoid such a situation try to walk after eating instead of lying down.
There is an age when all types of aches including stomach aches are normal, but as soon as you feel your normal abdominal ache turning into something severe, instantly go and consult a doctor. Do not panic.
The treatments for curing stomach aches will not be much sophisticated but should be taken responsibly, if you are prescribed any medicine by your doctor then complete the full course suggested.